The Solar Water Heating (SWH) TechScope Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Reductions Calculator is an Excel-based evaluation tool integrated as an additional module into the SWH TechScope Market Readiness Analysis Tool.
The SWH TechScope GHG Calculator provides complementary functions designed to help policymakers quantify GHG emissions reductions associated with increased development of SWH systems.
it can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Estimating the GHG emissions avoided by currently installed SWH systems in a country or region.
- Estimating the potential GHG emissions reductions from a single project.
- Estimating the potential GHG emissions reductions from a policy or programme based on assumptions about the amount of SWH installed as a result.
- Estimating the potential GHG emissions reductions from organic growth of the SWH market.
- Setting a target quantity of SWH systems needed to reach a desired GHG emissions reduction target.
Results can be viewed in a summary sheet that provides GHG emission reductions from SWH installations in visual and graphic format. The information provided includes the energy output of the SWH systems installed, the total GHG reductions in kg CO2/year, as well as useful equivalences for these reductions, such as avoided passenger vehicles on the road, barrels of oil burned and tonnes of coal burned.
Also, an online tutorial is available under the following link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuaEy58Fubw, which provides a detailed explanation on how to use the SWH TechScope GHG Calculator.
Author UNEP/ University of the Virgin Islands (UVI)