This course is free and universally-accessible via the web.
- 03 March 2010 - General Principles of CSTP technology
- 16 March 2010 - Linear Focus Technologies: Parabolic Trough and Linear Fresnel Reflectors
- 14 April 2010 - Point Focus Technologies: Parabolic Dish and Central Receiver
- 27 April 2010 - Thermal Storage and Hybridisation
- 5 May 2010 - Assessing the Solar Resource for CSTP plants
When you register for the course, you will be notified how to connect to the event.
Seville University holds a long tradition on Concentrated Solar Thermal Power (CSTP) research. Its students have become key players at research centers and solar energy departments of companies. Manuel Silva, one of the "fathers" of CSTP in Spain and winner of the CSP Today Special Achievement Award 09 will be delivering five lessons about technology and assessment of solar resource.
About the speaker
Manuel Silva is a PhD Industrial Engineer with 24 years of engineering experience, together with 10 years as Associate Professor at the Engineering School of Seville University. He is responsible for Solar Thermal Concentrating Systems and Solar Radiation Projects at the Group of Thermodynamics and Renewable Energy in this University. He coordinates or participates in several national and international projects on the following topics:
- solar resource measurement, evaluation and assessment;
- feasibility analysis of solar thermal power projects, including site characterization, estimation of electricity generation, optimisation of the solar field;
- R&D projects for component development, performance evaluation of solar thermal concentrating systems.
He also worked for two years as a freelance engineer, collaborating in international R&D projects in the field of Solar Thermal Concentrating Systems. He was a Member of the International Test and Evaluation Team at Plataforma Solar de Almería (Spain) during 5years. Ph D in Engineering at Seville University (Spain).
As a professor, he teaches the modules of Solar Radiation and Solar Thermal Concentrating Systems in the course of Renewable Energy at the Department of Energy Engineering, Seville University since 2001. He also teaches other graduate and postgraduate courses in different institutions, like the University of Colorado at Boulder (USA), UNIA (Universidad Internacional de Andalucía, Spain), ESPE (Escuela Politécnica Superior del Ejército, Ecuador) and other.