Following the first training series dedicated to Concentrated Solar Power technology description, we launch a second one devoted to market aspects, special applications (solar desalination) and solar resource assessment.
Dates - Madrid time – check your local time (click on the session to get slides and recording)
- 4th October 16h00 – CSP markets deployment – Luis Crespo
- 14th October 17h00 – Solar Desalination – Julián Blanco
- 21st October 17h00 – CSP and Desalination – Julián Blanco
- 28th October 17h00 – DNI Solar Resource Assessment for CSP and CPV – Chris Gueymard
- 3rd November 17h00 – Solar Resource Assessment: Circumsolar Radiation and Spectral Effects – Chris Gueymard
Luis Crespo is General Secretary at PROTERMOSOLAR, the Spanish CSP industry association, which represents about 100 members and Vicepresident of the European CSP Association ESTELA. He is also professor of macroeconomics and business management at the Politechnical University of Madrid. Luis has been involved in the solar energy field for 35 years now, within major entities like the International Energy Agency, SIEMENS, CASA, ASINEL, CIEMAT/IER-PSA, CDTI, CTAER, among others. He has been member of various scientific committees, he wrote many articles and books and he has participated in a great number of international congresses.
Julián Blanco is the head of the “Environmental Applications of Solar Energy” department of CIEMAT, at Almería Solar Platform. He’s also Operating Agent of SolarPACES Task VI (Solar Energy and Water Processes and Applications). He has been or is involved in 16 European Union Projects (3rd to 6th Framework Programs) and is author/co-author of 7 full books, 18 chapters, 60 publications in international journals and more than 135 contributions to International Congress and Symposiums.
Chris Gueymard is President at Solar Consulting Services. Chris has been doing research on solar energy, solar radiation, radiometry and atmospheric physics for many years. He has written more than 130 scientific publications, including a few book chapters. Recognized expert in these fields, he also serves as Associate Editor for the scientific journal Solar Energy.
CSP markets deployment
- A brief history of Solar Thermal Electric Power Plants
- The recent boom in Spain and future perspectives
- The emerging markets (USA, MENA, India, China, Australia, …)
- The “Desertec” concept and the Mediterranean Solar Plan
- Solar desalination technologies.
- Multi-Effect Distillation with solar energy
- Double Effect Absorption Heat Pump use in solar MED desalination
- Hybrid solar-gas desalination systems
- Thermal storage to 24 h operation
Concentrating Solar Power and Desalination (CSP+D)
- Suitable configurations
- The energy lost method to global water & power efficiency comparison
- Desalination integration into solar power plants: MED versus RO
- CSP+D efficiencies estimation
- CSP+D ongoing research
Direct Normal Irradiation (DNI) Solar Resource Assessment for CSP and CPV
- DNI measurement: instruments, calibration, maintenance, spectral corrections and accuracies
- DNI prediction: various types of radiative models with their pros and cons from validation results
- Sources of DNI data for the world: Why do they differ so much, what accuracy can we expect?
- Short-term, interannual and long-term variability in DNI
- Frequency distribution as a function of climate
- Concentrators or flat plates? The Solar Resource Enhancement Factor can help decide
- Resource assessment for large projects: Why local measurements are important
Solar Resource Assessment: Circumsolar Radiation and Spectral Effects
- DNI measurements: broadband vs. spectral, and their limitations
- What is circumsolar radiation and why should we care in CSP/CPV?
- How much diffuse irradiance can be used in concentrators?
- How to measure and model the circumsolar irradiance?
- Spectral irradiance standards and their use for PV/CPV rating
- The AM1.5 direct standard spectrum: Why did it change? Why AM1.5?
- Use of the SMARTS radiative code to evaluate clear-sky spectral irradiances
- Sources of measured spectral irradiance data
- Spectral effects on silicon and multijunction cells and their dependence on climate